Computer Vision APIs that can change the way you process images
With the rapid growth in Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning, there is a need for computer vision APIs. Computer vision APIs enable devices to recognize patterns and images of the real world and has endless utility in our daily lives. We are already surrounded by such devices that have the capability to interact and respond to logical commands.
The application of computer vision is increasingly seen in our daily life whether it’s online shopping, autonomous vehicles or traffic management. Tech giants like Google, Microsoft and Amazon are investing heavily to develop and improve complex algorithms which securely provide hidden and meaningful information from processing images in milliseconds. To help you navigate your options, we’ve created this article to compare various Machine vision APIs, share different use cases and pricing, and help you find them via the Rakuten RapidAPI marketplace.
Ready to start building awesome apps? Here are Rakuten RapidAPI‘s top 10 Machine vision APIs:
Computer Vision API is hosted on Microsoft Azure and provides developers with access to advanced to image processing algorithms returning information after analyzing the images. By uploading an image or specifying an image URL, Microsoft Computer Vision algorithms can analyze visual content in different ways based on inputs and user choices. Read more details about the service provider below:
- Microsoft computer vision documentation on Rakuten RapidAPI
- Document on Service provider website: Microsoft machine Documentation
- Pricing details on service provider website: Microsoft Machine vision pricing
- The API learning curve is made easier in different ways with quick starts, tutorials, and samples.
- The options of either uploading the image or passing a URL are both available.
- The response times are very good.
- High level of SLA guarantying that the standard tier will be available at least 99.9 percent of the time.
- Tightly Integrated with Microsoft Azure, blog Storage, SQL database and Virtual machine so can be packaged as an end to end solution.
- If you go beyond the mentioned number of transactions per second, your response time will be throttled to be within the agreed-upon limit, so if you get bursts of calls – you will have a problem.
- Usage based pricing model can be difficult to comprehend and implement effective cost controls.
- Image classification applications using 2000 recognizable objects, living beings, scenery, and actions
- Identification, categorization, and tagging images
- Identifying faces, mood, age, and scene
- Optical Character Recognition (OCR) to detect text content in an image and helpful for maintaining records for medical, security, banking and in general record keeping
- Intelligent manipulation of photos and restriction to show moderated content
Amazon Rekognition is one of the leading service providers to add powerful visual analysis to your applications. Rekognition lets you easily build applications with their APIs to search, verify, and organize millions of images. They have the ability to detects objects, scenes, and faces, extract text, recognize celebrities and identify inappropriate content in images. It also allows you to search and compare faces. Read more details about the service provider below:
- AWS Rekognition documentation on Rakuten RapidAPI
- Document on Service provider website: Amazon Rekognition documentation
- Pricing Details: Amazon pricing details
- This API can analyze 5,000 images per month
- Store up to 1,000 face metadata per month
- The maximum image size that can be stored as an Amazon S3 object is limited to 15 MB.
- The minimum pixel resolution for height and width is 80 pixels
- It supports only JPEG and PNG image formats. The video must be encoded using the H.264 codec. The supported file formats are MPEG-4 and MOV.
- For detection, the face dimension must be no smaller than 40×40 pixels in an image with 1920X1080 pixels. Images having dimensions higher than 1920X1080 pixels will need a larger minimum face size proportionally.
- Use Label detection across multiple images, do face detection and comparison, image moderation and text in image detection
- Ability to correct images for uploading the right orientation
- Ability to detect and breakdown scene elements
- Do monitoring for statistics like how many faces are tracked and how many requests are sent per second
- It is able to facial recognition like the position of the eye and other facial feature
Cloud Vision API enables developers to understand the content and hidden information of an image by using machine learning models with the help of REST API. It spontaneously classifies images into thousands of categories, detects unique objects and faces within the images, and reads printed words that are contained within images. This API allows you to build metadata on your image catalog, moderate offensive content and enables the use of new marketing scenarios through image sentiment analysis. Read more details about the service provider below:
- Google Cloud Vision documentation on Rakuten RapidAPI
- Document on Service provider website: Google Cloud Vision documentation
- Pricing documentation on service provider website Google Cloud Vision Pricing
- They have no upfront costing and it is a pay as you go service with no termination fees.
- Google comes with the highest security, privacy and compliance control where it provides ISO and SOC certification for the products
- Cloud vision API can detect any object using Google Image Search.
- Cloud Vision can moderate content search using the powerful Google Analytics.
- Multiple filter parameters can be applied to a single image.
- Cloud Datastore is feature-limited and hard to switch out from
- Google CDN does not work with custom sources
- StackDriver (GCP logs) feels detached
- Facial Recognition is not supported.
- Run image detection and animation on a batch of images
- Face Detection detects multiple faces within an image along with the associated key facial attributes such as emotional state or wearing headwear
- Detects popular product logos within an image
- Text Detection performs Optical Character Recognition. It detects and extracts text within an image with support for a broad range of languages. It also features automatic language identification.
- Landmark Detection detects popular natural and man-made structures within an image.
The IBM Watson Visual Recognition uses machine learning extensively to identify scenes, objects, and faces in images that are being uploaded to the service. We can create and train a custom classifier to identify subjects that suit our needs. Read more details about the service provider below:
- IBM Watson documentation on Rakuten RapidAPI
- Document on Service provider website: IBM Watson documentation
- Pricing on the service provider website: IBM Watson Pricing
- It can process unstructured data
- It can be used as a decision support system
- It can handle a large amount of data
- High maintenance cost
- Does not process structured data directly
- The Detect faces method does not support general biometric facial recognition.
- The maximum image size is 10 MB. The minimum recommended pixel density is 32X32 pixels per inch.
- Classify the image with a built-in classifiers
- Analyze and get data about faces in the image like estimated age and gender it uses a built-in the model so no training is necessary
- Create a new classifier model and train the system on the uploaded image data to build a custom business logic. Create your custom classifier with positive or negative examples to improve the confidence score.
CloudSight API is a simple yet powerful visual technique which uses REST API for understanding the images. Send us an image and we will return a description of its contents. This API allows the developers to integrate image recognition services into the apps. This is achieved when the API call allows developers to submit an image and receive a description of the image’s contents in return. Read more details about the service provider below:
- Cloud Sight documentation on Rakuten RapidAPI
- Document on Service provider website: Cloud Sight documentation
- Pricing on the service provider website: Cloud Sight pricing
- CloudSight works even when the end user takes a picture at the wrong angle or in poor lighting conditions.
- CloudSight recognizes nearly 40 million images.
- Send the image by using an HTTP POST request on the endpoint /images either as a multipart file upload, a base64 encoded image or a remote image URL and the API are able to process the images
- API available in Beta stage and are not detailed enough
- Cannot process unstructured data.
- It helps to make products discoverable for the E-commerce sites or marketplace through augmented product and image details.
- Send the image to know its contents and helps in SEO indexing
- It allows merchants to upload a product catalog without any need for writing description as it gets automatically populated
- Allows end users to search visually through the product catalog and improves search and discovery
Clarifai is an image and video recognition tool that helps to automatically assign tags to objects and categories taking only the pixels as input. It uses a wide library of semantic and visual terminologies for artificial intelligence. This also uses semantic and visual similarities to cross compare uploaded pictures with other pictures in their library to showcase similarities. It uses Artificial intelligence with computer vision which provides efficiencies in the business processes. Read more details about the service provider below:
- Clarifai V2 documentation on Rakuten RapidAPI
- Document on Service provider website: Clarifai V2 documentation
- Pricing on service provider website Clarifai Pricing
- Create personalised solution.
- Search moderation is available.
- Easy integration
- Expensive. You need to pay your cloud provider for using their services.
- Relatively Slow. Every request you make needs to go over the network.
- You may face possible privacy issues. You’ll need to send the user’s data to the cloud service.
- Automatically to add, organize images using tags and keywords and managing a video library
- Moderate user content from your platform which includes nudity, weapons and violence, drugs or any abusive images
- Images are searched and predicted for a list of concepts with a probability score that helps improves your E-commerce user experience and gives a better search experience
- Helps to generate analytics and insights from the user behaviour and workflows.
Kairos provides a way for developers to add face recognition to their applications with only a few lines of code. It takes the complexity out of facial recognition so developers can focus on the core Application. They have a high match rate with the real world scenarios and perform well in low lightning and even with partial face views. Read more details about the service provider below:
- Kairos documentation on Rakuten RapidAPI
- Document on Service provider website: Kairos Documentation
- Pricing details on service provider website Kairos Pricing
- Allowed users to apply additional intelligence for maximizing recognition results.
- Kairos’ face templates are significantly smaller than other providers on the market.
- Kairos processes many millions of images each month, and experiences no crashes due to traffic volume.
- Privacy and security are ensured as they are hosted in AWS and undergo regular audits.
- You do not know how expensive they may get as they are into custom pricing instead of being upfront about costs
- In independent tests, Kairos APIs came a bit behind AWS.
- Image files can be BMP, JPG, or PNG. They currently do not support GIF.
- Enabling identity verification in a decentralized manner (via Blockchains)
- Limit Identity fraud in Banking and Finance
- High-quality face biometrics to protect businesses and have
- It provides online and mobile identity verification with known individual detection to prevent unauthorized access for both personal and business-related devices and transactions.
Emovu is owned by Eyeris. Their emotion recognition algorithms focus specifically to analyze facial expressions. Designed with embed ability in mind, Eyeris emotion recognition software is lightweight and hence can be easily embedded in other systems. The product includes five face analysis and recognition modules. Read more details about the service provider below:
- Emovu documentation on Rakuten RapidAPI: Not available
- Document on Service provider website: EmoVu documentation
- Pricing details on service provider website: Not available
- Emotional recognition
- Small footprint
- High Frame rate
- Highly customizable
- Upfront pricing not known
- Does not score very high on the ease of use.
- It is not a very evolved model with practical known use cases
- Mainly used for ensuring safe driving practices are followed. The technology is being used by a lot of car manufacturers to assess driver readiness and awareness to perform the full driving tasks
- To interpret complex human behavior from face and body which includes face reading, body tracking, action recognition and activity prediction
- They specifically target application related to emotion, gender, age and face recognition
- They also have mood metric API which is used for analyzing and perceiving the emotions using webcams
- Helps to analyze and measure ROI using the analytic capability of how the customer behavior is recorded before and after a campaign
ImageVision works by extracting key visual features, to include shape, texture, and color from an image and uses this information, along with contextual data, to find similarities and thus more meaningful results. Leveraging unique properties inherent to electronic components, ImageVision fingerprints light patterns to correlate data using only image and videos. Reduce risk, deliver operational efficiencies, and protect your customer’s brands while scanning and filtering for set specific data. They also have a open API documentation for Nudity Search and classification. Read more details about the service provider below:
- ImageVision documentation on Rakuten RapidAPI
- Document on Service provider website: NudityRecognition Documentation
- Pricing information on the service provider website: Not available
- Nudity detection is a very hard problem to solve due to anatomical pattern recognition involved. This API does a very good job at it
- It helps in managing content in social Media and communities to ensure the content is moderated
- It has a good standard for speed where it can process billions of images and thousands of comparisons per second
- Accuracy rate is not very high, again that is because the problem domain itself is hard to accomplish and sometimes feedback reports the results are not categorized correctly
- Pricing information is not available online
- API documentation is not available online
- Leveraging patent-pending optical flow and feature extraction techniques, it is helpful in classifying and categorizing actions and motions.
- Protecting kids from online from sexual bullying by filtering out nudity.
- Ensuring a safe workplace environment by blocking sites that contain nudity.
- Recognizing anatomical attributes and determining if there is nudity or suggestive imagery in images.
The Animetrics Face Recognition facilitates finding human faces, detecting feature points, correcting of off angle photographs, and finally perform facial recognition. Attributes related to facial features like lips, chin, eyebrows, ears, lips, etc. are returned as coordinates of the image. The API also detects gender and orientation. There is also a special mode where the API allows the image to be rendered at a different orientation. Read more details about the service provider below:
- Animetrics documentation on Rakuten RapidAPI
- Document on Service provider website: Animetrics Documentation
- Pricing details on service provider website: Animetrics pricing
- Advanced Face Recognition features and SetPose API to set the specific angle to the images.
- Response times are a bit slow compared to other services.
- API documentation is not fully developed
- Pricing details for many of the product offerings are missing and not many use cases are listed on the website
- Advanced facial recognition biometrics for the military, DOD intelligence, homeland security, law enforcement
- They have separate products like ID-ready for used as a forensic tool for facial recognition
- FaceR Identity Management Solution: a centralized storage and management system for advanced 3D facial recognition powered by Animetrics’ FaceR technology.
- Advanced Investigative Facial Recognition Solution for Law enforcement officials, forensic investigators, and security personnel
That’s Rakuten RapidAPI’s list of top computer vision and image recognition APIs. We hope you found this resource useful!
About Rakuten RapidAPI
Rakuten RapidAPI is the world’s largest API marketplace with 8,000+ third-party APIs and used by over 500,000 active developers. We enable developers to build transformative apps through the power of APIs. Find, test and connect to all the APIs you need in one place!