Our team at Rakuten RapidAPI has always been passionate about hackathons. Properly used, APIs gives participants a competitive edge and can turn good prototypes into amazing real-life solutions. They help software engineers push the development boundaries and benefit them by:
- Speeding up development: Use API to provision commodity functions such as SMS for 2FA or programmatic emails.
- Innovation: Add capabilities you may not have expertise in. Computer vision APIs let you add facial recognition capabilities to apps in minutes.
- Leveraging data: Create value out of API-derived datasets. Power user searches with a web search API or understand a user’s interests via Twitter activity.
With Rakuten RapidAPI, developers get a single platform to find, test, and integrate thousands of APIs with a single API key. We’re confident in saying we make winners; we’ve seen time and time again how developers who make use of APIs well win at these events. Read out the Grand Prize Winners from Junction Tokyo 2019.
In the last 8 months, Rakuten RapidAPI has powered hackathons in Japan, Singapore, India, and South Korea. Today, we’re adding Malaysia to this list.
Can You Hack It Hackathon
We’re excited to announce that Rakuten RapidAPI has been selected to power Hong Leong Bank’s Can You Hack It hackathon. Hong Leong Bank is a major banking institution in Malaysia and voted as the country’s Best Digital Bank by AsiaMoney Awards 2018. Can you Hack It is an initiative designed to help hire the next-generation talent with innovative mindsets and passion for smart banking.
This 2nd edition hackathon of the Can You Hack It series takes place from April 27 – 28 at Menara Hong Leong in collaboration with Rakuten RapidAPI, Google Cloud and JomHack Malaysia. Up for grabs are RM15,000 in cash, potential job offers and entry to incubator and accelerator programmes. More information can be found here.
This event’s challenge statements are:
- Long term investment for Millennials: There is significant debt accumulation amongst Malaysian millennials. This demographic group experiences financial stress early in their careers. Many find themselves living beyond their means and trapped in emotional spending. AKPK shared that a survey showed a majority of Gen Ys were relying on high-cost borrowing, with 38% reported to be taking personal loans and 47% engaged in expensive credit card borrowings, while only 28% felt confident in their financial literacy.
- How can you help millennials learn and grow their wealth via savings and investments?
- How can you help increase financial literacy among millennials to equip them with the knowledge on how to better manage their debts?
- Green Bank: Environmental issues such as global warming, climate change, plastic waste disposal and many more affects every single individual on the planet. Over the last few decades, the degradation of our environment has increased tremendously, forcing corporations to be more responsible in reducing the environmental footprint. Given the importance of sustaining the environment for future generations, how can the bank contribute in reducing environmental impact?
- Business Banking Made Easier: The business banking world often differs from consumer banking in many ways, perhaps nowhere more so than customer experience. While consumer banking has made great strides in making products more accessible and user-friendly, business banking solutions have at times remained complex and disparate, causing the management of services a time-consuming frustration for many business customers. How can we make business banking friendlier for business customers – from discovery to attracting and then signing up through the use of innovative technology.
- Seamless experience: It is common for a customer to have multiple bank accounts with the same bank. Accounts they might have include current, savings, loan and investment accounts. For example, customers are able to view their account balances, transaction histories and much more on the internet-banking platform and on the mobile app. How can the bank enhance customers’ internet banking and mobile banking experience using external APIs to create a seamless, personalized and “special” experience for the customer.
- Interactive financial ecosystem: In today’s digital world, customers have multiple bank accounts from various banks as well as eWallets, stock brokerages and many others. It is getting tougher to keep track of the fragments of information from multiple locations. How can we create an interactive digital ecosystem, which includes savings, eWallets and investment vehicles, allowing us to offer advice to customers when appropriate?
We asked Hong Leong Bank why they decided to bring Rakuten RapidAPI to their hackathon. Here’s what they had to say.
We are pleased to announce our collaboration with Rakuten RapidAPI as part of Hong Leong Bank’s Can You Hack It semi-annual hackathon. With its wide variety of the latest finance-related APIs, Rakuten RapidAPI’s Marketplace adds a new dimension to our event by providing our participants with the ability to develop new fintech solutions, with added depth and real-world functionality.”
– HLB Group Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer Domenic Fuda.
Rakuten RapidAPI will be deploying our full set of perks for participants.
- API Credits: Participants will receive coupon credits to offset out-of-pocket costs for consuming services on Rakuten RapidAPI.
- Dedicated API Collection: We’ve created this curated selection of APIs to fit the event theme.
- 24/7 Technical Mentorship: Rakuten RapidAPI team provide 24/7 technical assistance via Slack and Zoom video conference. Looking for an API for your use case? Having trouble with technical integration? We’ll help you with it all.
- Winner promotion: Winning teams stand a chance to be featured in their dedicated blog post as part of our <Developer Showcase/> series. All you need to qualify is to use at least 3 APIs from Rakuten RapidAPI.
About Hong Leong Bank
Hong Leong Bank Berhad is one of the leading financial services organisations in Malaysia. With a heritage of more than 100 years, it provides comprehensive financial services covering consumer banking, business banking and trade finance, treasury, branch and transaction banking, wealth management, private banking and Islamic financial services. Hong Leong Bank, which has won awards for its innovations in the financial services space, also has one of the largest service and distribution network of branches and business centres in Malaysia.
With a proven track record in value creation and a highly recognised brand, Hong Leong Bank has also been extending its footprint in the region, with branches in Singapore and Hong Kong and wholly owned subsidiaries in Vietnam and Cambodia. In China, the Bank is a substantial shareholder in Bank of Chengdu Co., Ltd., Sichuan and in a consumer finance joint venture.
Hong Leong Bank is a subsidiary of Hong Leong Financial Group Berhad, the financial services arm of the Hong Leong Group. Apart from banking, Hong Leong Financial Group is involved in the provision of insurance and takaful, as well as investment banking, unit trust, fund management and stock broking services. For further information, please visit www.hlb.com.my
About Rakuten RapidAPI
Rakuten RapidAPI’s mission is to empower developers through APIs. We help developers focus on building core application logic while leveraging public APIs to fulfill other functions, in order to save them time, energy and cost.
We’re the world’s largest API Marketplace with 8000+ APIs and used by 500k developers around the world. Our platform helps developers test & integrate an extensive API selection, manage all API usage with a single key, and manage these services in one place. By leveraging APIs, developers can focus on getting their applications off the ground more quickly without having to reinvent the wheel for off-the-shelf services.